Thursday, April 27, 2023

Thursday Psalms: Jesus Restores Your Soul!

    

The Psalm assigned for Sunday is the most beloved and well-known of all the psalms.  It is a perfect companion to Sunday's gospel reading, the first ten verses of John chapter 10.  For most of us, there are many memories and beautiful revelations from God in these verses, but today I'd like to look at verses 3a and 6a.

PSALM 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

     He leads me beside still waters.

He restores my soul.

     He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

     I will fear no evil, for You are with me;

         Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

     You anoint my head with oil;

         my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,

     and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 


One's soul is not easy to describe in words, at least for me.  Of course, "googling it" produces this definition:  "The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being... regarded as immortal."  That God restores our souls is one of His great promises, given over & over, throughout God's Word.  Our sins and our sinfulness are constantly separating us from God, and without God's intervention, we are doomed & hopeless, both now and forever.  

But God DID intervene, by sending Jesus, His Son to become a human being.  Jesus lived a perfect & sinless life, then died on Calvary's cross and took the punishment of all sins upon Himself.  Jesus paid your debt, Jesus purchased your forgiveness by giving His body & blood, dying a criminal's death on the cross.  And so, God lets us participate in "the Great Exchange":  when you confess your sins, God forgives you, removes your sins, and restores you to Himself.  Because of Jesus, God restores your soul!  

This is not an idle or flimsy promise!  God's Word proclaims this to be true, over & over again.  It is a "sure thing", as verse 6a declares:  surely, goodness and mercy shall follow you all the days of your life.  In this, God does not promise each of our days will be filled with earthly comfort or happiness.  It is His goodness and mercy which will follow us, His forgiveness and salvation He gives to us all the days of your life.  

Thanks be to God, that Jesus restores your soul, all the days of your life!

Peace in Christ,

Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

     We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

        sharing God’s love & mercy with each other and the world.

office:  810.744.1188

mobile:  248.881.7627

Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


"My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth."  Psalm 121:2

No comments:

Post a Comment