Thursday, August 22, 2024

Thursday Psalms: Unfold God's Words!

When I first read these verses, the psalmist's prayers for God's blessings seem to jump out as the main theme.  It's always good to ask for God's help and care.

Psalm   Psalm 119:129–136

129 Your testimonies are wonderful;

        therefore my soul keeps them.

130 The unfolding of Your words gives light;

        it imparts understanding to the simple.

131 I open my mouth and pant,

        because I long for Your commandments.

132 Turn to me and be gracious to me,

        as is Your way with those who love Your name.

133 Keep steady my steps according to Your promise,

        and let no iniquity get dominion over me.

134 Redeem me from man’s oppression,

        that I may keep Your precepts.

135 Make Your face shine upon Your servant,

        and teach me Your statutes.

136 My eyes shed streams of tears,

        because people do not keep Your law. 


Today the Holy Spirit drew my attention to the unfolding of things.  I've always been thrilled with paper maps.  Our Dad & Mom took us on many trips, especially the annual two-week epic journey in late July.  Months before, we'd start talking about places to go.  Finally a decision was made and my Dad would order & then bring home the AAA maps.  O, what a glorious day!  I couldn't wait to unfold the maps and see where we'd be going.  Even today, as I unfold maps of places I've been, the memories, pictures and stories come shining back to me.

Have you had similar glorious unfoldings?  Perhaps looking through a wedding album, a baby book or reading a good novel?  Page by page, picture by picture, life unfolds before your eyes.  There is a certain pace and patience to the unfolding, building suspense and anticipation for what is still coming.  O, what glorious unfoldings!

The unfolding of [God's] words give light; it imparts understanding to the simple.  Reading, praying and studying God's Word is the most glorious and life-changing unfolding you can ever experience.  Yes, the Bible includes captivating stories and amazing miracles.  But most importantly, it unfolds the patience and love of God, a love so vast our tiny minds can't even begin to understand it.  Best of all, the unfolding of God's Word gives light to your darkness, gives hope to your struggle, gives faith to believe in Jesus, and gives forgiveness and salvation to all who ask!  

O, what a glorious day!  Start unfolding God's Words today & every day, receiving the life-changing gifts God will unfold for you!

Peace in Christ,
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria

"Give me understanding, that I may keep Your law   
     and observe it with my whole heart."  Psalm 119:34     


No comments:

Post a Comment