Thursday, July 18, 2024

Thursday Psalms: My Shepherd!

The Psalm assigned for this coming Sunday is the 23rd Psalm, one of the best known and most loved texts in Scripture.  

PSALM 23

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

        He leads me beside still waters.

He restores my soul.

        He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

        I will fear no evil, for You are with me;

               Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

        You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,

        and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 


Like an old friend, many of us have known it by heart since we were children.  When we are stricken by grief, when we have lost our way, when our bodies are failing or we are standing at the grave of a loved one, through this old friend, God restores our souls.  We depend on this psalm, because these words prop up our sagging faith, and give us strength to press on.  Even when we are lost, not knowing which way to turn, what will come next, or where we are going to end up, especially at these times, verse 3 reminds us that our path is certain.  It is certain because it is NOT our path, it is our Shepherd's path, and He is leading us.

Take some time today to slow down to read this Psalm.  Think on & pray over each verse, one at a time.  I pray the Holy Spirit will open your eyes and hearts to His care for you.

Peace in Christ,
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria

"Give me understanding, that I may keep Your law and observe it with my whole heart."  Psalm 119:34

No comments:

Post a Comment