Thursday, June 27, 2024

Thursday Psalms: Dance Every Morning!

We read today's psalm through the lens of our own struggles, those times of suffering in body and mind.  Some suffering God has healed; some not yet.  

PSALM 30     A Psalm of David

I will extol You, O Lord, for you have drawn me up

        and have not let my foes rejoice over me.

Lord my God, I cried to You for help, and You have healed me.

Lord, You have brought up my soul from Sheol;

        You restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.

Sing praises to the Lord, O you His saints,

        and give thanks to His holy name.

For His anger is but for a moment, and His favor is for a lifetime.

        Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.

As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.”

By Your favor, O Lord, You made my mountain stand strong;

        You hid Your face; I was dismayed.

To You, O Lord, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy:

“What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit?

        Will the dust praise You?  Will it tell of Your faithfulness?

10 Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me!  O Lord, be my Helper!”

11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;

        You have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,

12 that my glory may sing Your praise and not be silent.

        O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever! 


In verse three David speaks of "Sheol", which refers to the state or the abode of the dead.  David speaks of being restored, being brought up from the dead.  This is different healing than for what we usually pray, to be healed from sickness, depression, loneliness, and other bodily suffering.  Of course, this verse points the Christian to  the Last Day, when Jesus Christ will return to earth and physically bring up from Sheol the bodies of all who have died.  On that day of judgement, If you confess your sins and believe that Jesus forgives them, Jesus will give you eternal life in heaven.


But verse 3 also encourages us in the "here and now".  Every time you confess your sins to God the Father, He forgives you because Jesus His Son has already taken your punishment for you!  God the Father's anger [v4] was poured out on Jesus in the moment of His death, so you and I enjoy God's favor for a lifetime!  Forgiveness brings you up from the Sheol [death] of guilt and shame.  When forgiven, you're set free from your sins, you're restored to God the Father, made perfect again because of Jesus!  


As God's forgiven & loved child, follow David's example [vv 11-12].  Dance every morning in gladness, singing thankful praises to the Lord forever


Peace in Christ,
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


"For You, O LORD, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth."  Psalm 71:5  

No comments:

Post a Comment