Thursday, March 21, 2024

Thursday Psalms: Save Me O Lord!

During this penitential season of Lent, we're drawn to consider our distress, grief, sorrow, sighing and failing strength.  Our enemies & adversaries attack us and weigh us down.  We often feel forgotten like one who is dead.  

PSALM 31:9-16

Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;

      my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also.

10 For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing;

      my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away.

11 Because of all my adversaries I have become a reproach,

      especially to my neighbors, and an object of dread to my acquaintances;

            those who see me in the street flee from me.

12 I have been forgotten like one who is dead;

      I have become like a broken vessel.

13 For I hear the whispering of many—terror on every side!—

      as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life.

14 But I trust in You, O Lord;

      I say, “You are my God.”

15 My times are in Your hand;

      rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!

16 Make Your face shine on your servant;

      save me in Your steadfast love! 


The second section of Psalm 31 is more somber than the first.  David begins with a short plea to God, then his focus changes onto himself and his suffering.  But his misery cannot last, and neither should yours!  Near the end of this section David turns back to his God, who he trusts and whose love for him is steadfast!  

And so it is also with us!  As we are attacked by so many things, we're in distress.  Terrors surround us on every side.  In spite of all our suffering, we can join David and say "But I trust in You, O  Lord!  You are my God!"

O heavenly Father, in spite of my fear and worry and suffering, make Your face shine on me, and comfort me in Your steadfast love!   Amen.

Peace in God alone,
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom..."  Psalm 111:10a 

No comments:

Post a Comment