Thursday, February 15, 2024

Thursday Psalms: God Remembers You Forever!

From ancient times the season of Lent has been kept as a time of special devotion, self-denial, and humble repentance.  Lent is also a time of waiting.  We wait, pondering our shameful sins but at the same time, we're also awaiting something much, much better.  We're waiting to witness once again our Savior Jesus, saving us from our sins as He dies on the cruel and blood-soaked cross.  Verse three of Psalm 25 encourages us in this.  As we wait for Jesus our Savior, we wait in forgiveness, not in shame.

Psalm  25:1-15
1  To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2  O my God, in You I trust; let me not be put to shame; 
      let not my enemies exult over me.
3  Indeed, none who wait for You shall be put to shame;
      they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.
4  Make me to know Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths.
5  Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation;
            for You I wait all the day long.
6  Remember Your mercy, O Lord, and Your steadfast love, 
      for they have been from of old.
7  Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
      according to Your steadfast love remember me, 
          for the sake of Your goodness, O Lord!
8  Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
9  He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble His way.
10 All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
      for those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.

And what shall we do, as we wait during Lent?  O sure, you can give up donuts or gossiping or bank robbing for Lent.  All good & valuable if your daily "suffering" points you to confessing your sins and receiving God's forgiveness.  

Verses 4-5 encourage another daily discipline during Lent.  Look to the Lord; to teach you His ways and to lead you on His paths.  Ask God daily to show you His truth and teach you.  And then we wait all the day long, anticipating what the Holy Spirit will give to us.  We wait, all Lent long, anticipating the joy & freedom which will wash over us on Easter morning.  

What is the source of the Easter joy for which we wait?  God tells you in verses 6 & 7.  It is the Lord's mercy, the Lord's love.  And these gifts are not just for Easter, the Lord's mercy & love have been around from old, from God's creation of this world and all things therein.  And the Lord's mercy & love continue for you EVERY DAY of your life, both here on earth and forever in heaven!

God remembers you forever, but your confessed & forgiven sins, God remembers NOT!  Thanks be to God, for His great goodness!  

Peace in God alone,
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom..."  Psalm 111:10a 

No comments:

Post a Comment