Friday, January 12, 2024

Thursday Psalms: God's Hand Leads You!

Today's Psalm reading included the first 10 verses of Psalm 139.  

PSALM 139:1-10

Lord, You have searched me and known me!

You know when I sit down and when I rise up;

      You discern my thoughts from afar.

You search out my path and my lying down

      and are acquainted with all my ways.

Even before a word is on my tongue,

      behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.

You hem me in, behind and before,

      and lay Your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;

      it is high; I cannot attain it.

Where shall I go from Your Spirit?

      Or where shall I flee from Your presence?

If I ascend to heaven, You are there!

      If I make my bed in Sheol, You are there!

If I take the wings of the morning

      and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,

10 even there Your hand shall lead me,

      and Your right hand shall hold me. 


How do you read these verses?  You may conclude:  "I can't run and hide from God!  He is everywhere and He is after me!  I am doomed!"  This reading is certainly true; God is everywhere, God knows everything and we most certainly can't hide from Him.  Also, left to our own devices and "goodness", we are doomed.  There is no way we can earn our salvation; the price of our sinfulness is death.  If we're judged only on our own merits, we would be separated from God in this life and we'd spend eternity in hell. These thoughts can be terrifying to us, and all who are sinners.  

But is this really what God is telling us in these verses?  While all the things mentioned above are true, God is giving us better news. The fact that God is all-knowing & present everywhere gives us great hope and comfort!  Above all else, this psalm proclaims God's love, which He expresses in His personal care and involvement in all of His creation.  Because Jesus died on the cross to take our sin punishment, and He rose from the dead on Easter morning, we know God is not chasing us everywhere to punish us!  There is no need trying to run and hide; confess your sins and they will be forgiven!  

These verses remind us that God loves us and His protecting, forgiving and loving presence is with us anywhere we go!  He "hems us in" with protection, and His hand "leads" us and "holds" us.  

Thanks be to God, for His great love for us!

Peace in Christ,
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come..."  Psalm 71:3a  

No comments:

Post a Comment