Thursday, September 21, 2023

Thursday Psalms: Whom Shall I Fear?

Of what or whom are you afraid?  Perhaps nothing frightens you now, but certainly you have been fearful and will be again.  In this portion of Psalm 27, David gives a great example of what we should do when facing troubles, attacks or enemies of any kind.  In the first six verses we hear David's confidence in the Lord, to whom David then prays for help, forgiveness and guidance.

PSALM 27:1-9

The Lord is my light and my salvation;

      whom shall I fear?

  The Lord is the stronghold of my life;

      of whom shall I be afraid?

When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh,

      my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall.

Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear;

      though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.

One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after:

      that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,

            to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple.

For He will hide me in His shelter in the day of trouble;

      He will conceal me under the cover of His tent;

            He will lift me high upon a rock.

And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me,

      and I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;

            I will sing and make melody to the Lord.

Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud;

      be gracious to me and answer me!

You have said, “Seek my face.”

      My heart says to You, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.”

Hide not Your face from me.

      Turn not Your servant away in anger, O You who have been my help.

  Cast me not off; forsake me not,

      O God of my salvation! 


Notice in verse 2-3, David's response matters not whether he is attacked by one person, an army of enemies or if a war breaks out!  God is with you, in all situations!  Great lesson for you and me!

You and I fall under attack by many foes; people, sickness, worry, guilt, and so forth.  God's people are very blessed; God invites us to boldly take our needs and requests to Him.  This is not some mystical formula which automatically makes things all better.  No, God is no vending machine.  But God tells us in Psalm 46:1 that He is our refuge and strength, our very real & present help in times of trouble.  

Are we both afraid and unafraid at the same time?  Yes.  Are we both worried & confident?  Yes, for sure.  Do we hope and feel desperate?  Absolutely.  This is the tension of our daily lives, lived in faith while under attack.  Thanks be to God, He loves us so much that He has saved us and He will never forsake us!

Peace in Christ,

Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria

“You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your Word." Psalm 119:114    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment