Thursday, September 28, 2023

Thursday Psalms: No Shame!

In our current Adult Class here at Pilgrim, we are studying the faith of martyrs and how they witness to us in proclaiming the faith God has given us.  It is a fascinating class; if you'd like to watch video recordings or participate in-person or online, please connect with me.  One goal of religious persecution is the public shaming of Christians, and the fear which the persecutors intend to create in others.  By the grace and will of God, these martyrs were not ashamed of the faith God gave to them, even in the moment of death.  

This is David's prayer in the first three verses of today's Psalm, and this should be your prayer also.

PSALM 25:1-10

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

O my God, in You I trust; let me not be put to shame;

      let not my enemies exult over me.

Indeed, none who wait for You shall be put to shame;

      they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

Make me to know Your ways, O Lord;

      teach me Your paths.

Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation;

      for You I wait all the day long.

Remember Your mercy, O Lord, and Your steadfast love,

      for they have been from of old.

Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions;

      according to Your steadfast love remember me, 

           for the sake of Your goodness, O Lord

David had a choice, and we have the same.  He could turn his eyes, heart and mind toward his treacherous and sinful enemies, who seek only to put him to shame for his faith in God.  But David makes a different choice.  In verses four and five David turns to God, asking that God teach & lead him on God's ways and paths.  And yes, this often includes waiting on the Lord.  But we don't wait in shame.  We wait for the Lord with bold confidence, because God is good, and He remembers us in His steadfast love, which has been with us from of old!

Have NO SHAME, because the Lord, remembers you, loves you and forgives your sins!  

Peace in Christ,
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188     mobile:  248.881.7627


We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

     Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.


Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


“You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your Word." Psalm 119:114    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment