Thursday, July 20, 2023

Thursday Psalms: Teach Me Your Statutes!

In this short section of Psalm 119, the psalmist first reflects on our standing with the Lord.  The psalmist reminds us, not only does the Lord give us His promises [v. 58], but the Lord gives us Himself [v. 57a].  In the following five verses, the psalmist describes many attributes of Godly living.

Psalm 119:57-64 

57 The Lord is my portion;

     I promise to keep Your words.

58 I entreat Your favor with all my heart;

     be gracious to me according to Your promise.

59 When I think on my ways,

     I turn my feet to Your testimonies;

60 I hasten and do not delay

     to keep Your commandments.

61 Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,

     I do not forget Your law.

62 At midnight I rise to praise You,

     because of Your righteous rules.

63 I am a companion of all who fear You,

     of those who keep Your precepts.

64 The earth, O Lord, is full of Your steadfast love;

     teach me Your statutes! 


In verse 59, turning my feet to the Lord's testimonies reminds usto read and study our Bibles, turning our hearts & minds to God's Word.  When we read verse 60, we're reminded to live intentionally, working hard at keeping God's commands and loving others as the Lord loves us.  When we read verses 61 & 62, we're encouraged not to be ensnared & trapped by wickedness, but remember God's will and run away from temptations.  Even though we cannot fully do so, following God's righteous rules gives us joy, and causes us to praise the Lord for His forgiveness when we stumble.  Lastly, verse 63 encourages us to be in community with other believers.  There is great strength in being companions with other disciples, as we encourage each other in striving to keep God's will.

God's commands and rules are not burdens which rob us of joy, they are gifts given in love for our great benefit!  

In Your gracious and steadfast love O Lord, teach me Your statutes!

Peace to you!
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188

mobile:  248.881.7627

     We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

        Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.

Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria

“You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your Word." Psalm 119:114


No comments:

Post a Comment