Thursday, June 8, 2023

Thursday Psalms: Affliction Is Good!

 

All of us endure affliction & suffering; some result from our own sinful actions and others we endure without causing them. God causes and allows many of our afflictions in order to chasten and discipline us. God desires all "thorns in our flesh" to cause us to hear His words: "My grace is sufficient for you; My power is made perfect in weakness." [2 Corinthians 12:9]

I pray that all of you have experienced the benefits of loving discipline, both applied to you and applied by you. In the Psalm text for today, the psalmist shares an important and valuable perspective on his own suffering. He states this clearly in verses 67 and 71. The humility which comes from suffering is a discipline from God, which restores him to God's Word.
PSALM 119:65–72
65 You have dealt well with Your servant,
O Lord, according to Your word.
66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge,
for I believe in Your commandments.
67 Before I was afflicted I went astray,
but now I keep Your word.
68 You are good and do good;
teach me Your statutes.
69 The insolent smear me with lies,
but with my whole heart I keep Your precepts;
70 their heart is unfeeling like fat,
but I delight in Your law.
71 It is good for me that I was afflicted,
that I might learn Your statutes.
72 The law of Your mouth is better to
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
In verse 66, the psalmist also teaches us another Godly response to affliction: we're to learn good judgement and knowledge from God's commands. I encourage you today to review each of God's ten commandments from memory, your LSB hymnal or Luther's Small Catechism. Consider how each is given by God in love, care, and for your benefit. There's no better way to learn judgement & knowledge from God, which we'll be able to apply to EVERY affliction or situation we must face.
Martin Luther wrote these words of prayer regarding verse 71: "It is good that You took my wisdom away from me, so that You might give me Yours". Yes, affliction is good when it opens our minds and hearts to receive God's wisdom & mercy! I pray you receive all of God's gifts today!

Peace to you!
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188

mobile:  248.881.7627

     We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

        Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.

Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria

“You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your Word." Psalm 119:114


No comments:

Post a Comment