Thursday, May 25, 2023

Thursday Psalms: The Friendship of the LORD

 

Everyone knows there is a difference between acquaintances and friendships.  We talk to acquaintances; we walk with friends.  Acquaintances don't require very much effort to retain; friendships require service, sacrifice and investment of time and emotions.  Acquaintances can be fleeting and short-lived; true friendships often last a lifetime.

These verses of Psalm 25 are assigned for this coming Sunday in the church year, The Day of Pentecost, which commemorates God's gift of His Holy Spirit upon His Church on earth.  So what might be the connection between friendship [v14] and Pentecost?  

Psalm  25:1-15
To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in You I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me.
Indeed, none who wait for You shall be put to shame;
      they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.
Make me to know Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths.
Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation;
      for You I wait all the day long.
Remember Your mercy, O Lord, and Your steadfast love, 
      for they have been from of old.
Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
      according to Your steadfast love remember me, 
         for the sake of Your goodness, O Lord!
Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble His way.
10 All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
      for those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.
11 For Your name’s sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great.
12 Who is the man who fears the Lord?
      Him will He instruct in the way that he should choose.
13 His soul shall abide in well-being, and his offspring shall inherit the land.
14 The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear Him,
      and He makes known to them His covenant.
15 My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for He will pluck my feet out of the net. 

One of the sure hallmark signs of friendship is being physically together in good and bad times.  On the Day of Pentecost, God gave His Holy Spirit to His Church, and in your baptism, God gave His Holy Spirit to YOU.  God the Holy Spirit lives in you and in all believers, and in this way, God has befriended you and me.  

Check out verses 8-14 for evidence of God's constant presence in your life and mine.  Every day, the Holy Spirit instructsleads, and teaches you.  Every day, the Holy Spirit shows you God's path and keeps you in His covenant promises.  Every day the Holy Spirit abides in you and you abide in Him.  

Pause and lift up a prayer of thanks to God, that He shows you His friendship in two eternally important ways.  First, by sending Jesus His Son to be your Savior and win forgiveness of all your sins.   Second, God gave to you His Holy Spirit to walk with you every day of your life.  

Truly, the friendship of the Lord is the best friendship anyone has ever had!

Peace to you!
Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

     We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

        Sharing God’s Love & Mercy with Each Other & the World.

office:  810.744.1188

mobile:  248.881.7627

Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


"My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth."  Psalm 121:2 

No comments:

Post a Comment