Thursday, March 16, 2023

Thursday Psalms: God is Your Refuge!

 

Because Saul disobeyed the Lord, the Lord chose David to be the next king over the nation Israel.  Jealousy filled Saul's heart, and he pursued David relentlessly, even though David showed only mercy and honor to Saul, even sparing his life on two occasions.  On two occasions while being chased, David found himself in a cave, which is the physical context of today's psalm.  

We can easily imagine David's situation:  a sense of imprisonment, of being buried in the depths of despair, both physically & emotionally.  In the depth of this cave, David turns to the Lord in fervent and honest prayer.


Psalm 142    A Maskil of David, when he was in the cave.  A Prayer.

With my voice I cry out to the Lord;

   with my voice I plead for mercy to the Lord.

I pour out my complaint before Him;

   I tell my trouble before Him.

When my spirit faints within me, You know my way!

   In the path where I walk, they have hidden a trap for me.

Look to the right and see:  there is none who takes notice of me;

   no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul.

I cry to you, O Lord;

   I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.”

Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low!

   Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me!

Bring me out of prison, that I may give thanks to Your name!

   The righteous will surround me, for You will deal bountifully with me. 


In the first two verses, it's like David is explaining how he will handle his terrible predicament.  Then, he cries out to the Lord,  when "no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul."  The final verse summarizes this psalm; David's hopeless prison, and his thankfulness that the Lord will deliver him. 

Are you in a cave or prison today?  Often our prisons are of our own making; we're isolated from others by our sins and feel cut off from other Christians in shame or fear.  Other times our prisons are beyond our direct control; we're tormented by physical sickness, were persecuted by emotional suffering, we're isolated and lonely without others to care and comfort us.  

No matter where you are today, cry out in prayer to the Lord who knows your way, who takes notice of you and cares for your soul.  Today you can be encouraged by David's confidence that the Lord will bring you out of your prison and deal bountifully with you!  The Lord forgives your sins and sets you free!

Give thanks that  the Lord is your refuge today, in the land of the living

Peace in Christ,

Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

     We are Pilgrims with a Purpose:  

        sharing God’s love & mercy with each other and the world.

office:  810.744.1188

mobile:  248.881.7627

Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page


Soli Deo Gloria


"My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth."  Psalm 121:2  

No comments:

Post a Comment