Friday, September 9, 2022

Thursday Psalms: Life in God's Word

  


Blessed Thursday to each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, your Savior!

Psalm 119 is of course the longest of the psalms, with an overall theme of living life under God's Law.  In this psalm alone David prays more than ten times that God would give him understanding, that he would comprehend and learn God's divine teaching.  In this short section below, we hear "loud and clear" David's desire to live Life in God's Word.  

PSALM  119:169–176

169 Let my cry come before You, O Lord;

     give me understanding according to Your word!

170 Let my plea come before You;

     deliver me according to Your word.

171 My lips will pour forth praise,

     for You teach me Your statutes.

172 My tongue will sing of Your word,

     for all Your commandments are right.

173 Let Your hand be ready to help me,

     for I have chosen Your precepts.

174 I long for Your salvation, O Lord,

           And Your law is my delight.

175 Let my soul live and praise You,

           and let Your rules help me.

176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep;

                seek Your servant, for I do not forget Your commandments.

What a great example and prayer for you and I today!  What a great encouragement to set up a new routine, to read and pray over God's written words every day!  Don't make it a big intimidating plan; even if you just open your Bible to any book and start reading & praying, the Holy Spirit will give you His gifts!

And notice verse 174.  The psalmist is looking forward to the Lord's salvation, one of hundreds of Old Testament pointers to the coming life of Jesus our Savior.  We are blessed to live on this side of Calvary's cross and the empty tomb, knowing that our salvation has already been purchased by Jesus!  Thanks be to God, that you & I can rest with full assurance of our salvation, as we confess our sins to God our Father, and receive His complete forgiveness!

Peace in Christ, living Life in God's Word!


Pastor Mark

Pilgrim Lutheran Church, LCMS    Burton, Michigan

office:  810.744.1188

mobile:  248.881.7627

Pilgrim Website

Pilgrim Facebook page

Pilgrim Worship blog page

Soli Deo Gloria


"Blesséd be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation.”  Psalm 68:19

No comments:

Post a Comment